Sunday, June 24, 2012

Freeing Dignity: Chapter 5

Time has been going by slowly. It had barely been a few hours after noon and it felt like I barely arrived. At night, and I knew it was nighttime because they had fed us dinner. The dinner wasn't so great, it was just some meat and mashed potatoes with milk. The sugary drinks were for those users who had a lighter sentence than mine. I was exhausted from this very boring day, staying in my cell all day. I heard the users with sentences like mine and lower get to go outside, I can't wait. In my dream, I had dreamed of the user that I had scammed, I saw his face which was filled with despair. I woke up, we had to yell out to ask what time it was. "What time is it!?" I yelled. "3:45am!!" someone replied back. "Thanks!" I yelled back. I went back to sleep. "Wake up! It's work time!" someone had yelled. I yelled "What time is it?!" someone replied with "4:00am!" We have to wake up at 4 am in the morning? All cell doors opened, I walked out, so did Dignity. We walked towards the courtyard to receive orders. "Have you ever been here, Jono?" asked Dignity. "No," I replied. "Well, we have to wake up every morning to go work." Dignity said. "Work where?" I asked. "In the fields, boy" Dignity replied. I felt confident that this was going to be an easy job. I was wrong. I was forced to break rocks in half to make some new tables, it took maybe like thirty or more hits to break just one. I managed to break about forty in one day, it took from four until seven in the afternoon. We took a lunch break at twelve in the afternoon, then it was back to work. We all got back into our cells to wait until the day ended. I marked on the wall of my cell with a chalk piece I had found on the floor "II" in Roman numerals meaning "two" days had passed. We were served a small piece of steak with mashed potatoes and milk again. I asked Dignity "what we were going to do tomorrow" he replied saying "I don't know." "Why don't you know?" I asked. "Well, because all users with lighter sentences have different things to do, I think you have recreational time tomorrow, while I have to work." replied Dignity. "Why do you have to work?" I asked. "Go to bed," he replied. "Wait why!?" I asked. He didn't answer. It was obvious that he didn't want to talk about this tonight, so I laid on my bed and closed my eyes and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment