Sunday, June 24, 2012

Freeing Dignity: Chapter 4

I took a seat on a bench inside of my cell. I had seen some chalk and on the wall it marked "XIV," which mean't fourteen in roman numerals. I knew the former inmate in Banland had been banned for fourteen days, just like me. I heard someone yawn in some other cell. He called out to me "Hey, new guy." said the unknown voice. "What?" I replied, not knowing who was speaking to me. "Do you know who I am?" said unknown. "Are you the guy in the cell next to me?" I said. "Yes, I am" said the unknown voice. "Dignity?" I said "Yes, it's me." said Dignity. "How were you banished?" I had told Dignity. "I don't really want to talk about it," Dignity replied. The days in Banland had seemed to go by slowly, it was even worse that it had always been night here in Banland because of the lack of windows. The only air I got was from the main entrance, which was only a few feet away. Someone threw some breakfast into my cell, I knew then that it was morning. I could finally tell time in this cell by looking at the food. I ate the food and took a drink out of the water with happiness. Dignity didn't sound so happy. "Not this food again!" exclaimed Dignity. "Why don't you like the food?" I replied. "Because I have gotten the same food for weeks!" exclaimed Dignity. "Well, is this all they serve?" I replied. "No, but it has been all they have served for breakfast for the past week, I'm sick of it." replied Dignity. "Oh..." I replied. I told Dignity "How long have you been in here?" He replied with "More than two years." I didn't realize that he was the person that was sentenced here for life. "Do you get bored of being in here?" I told him. "Well, I've gotten used to this life." replied Dignity. "Stop talking to me for today" Dignity had said to me. "Alright," I replied in a soft voice. The afternoon had arrived and I knew because they had thrown my lunch into my cell. The lunch was a sandwich with water. I ate it quickly. The day had only been half way through. Time was going by too slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment